Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Hunt for Fabulous Prizes

"Make voyages!  Attempt them!  There's nothing else."
~ Tennessee Williams

Today I had students complete a writing sample.  I used the QIA Literacy assessment.  I also had students complete a reading interest survey.  These two samples, as well as standardized test scores will be my "pre-test" for the year.

I planned my first unit: an author study of Gary Soto.  I planned a unit that included short stories, poetry, interview, and a novel.  My colleague, Adrianna with the cutest hair ever, dropped by a poetry and essay contest flyer.  I thought it was sort of perfect - after reading Soto's poetry, we could write our own and submit it to our first contest for the year.  Then I got irritated.  Writing poetry and submitting to a contest this early in the school year was not part of the plan.  Then I had to remind myself that this was EXACTLY the plan: to look for opportunities to get published and take advantage of them.  But I already penciled in ALL of the Gary Soto plan into my new cute planner. . .

This is why I haven't been into submitting to contests in the past.  They are difficult to plan for.  Even the ones that occur every year don't always happen at the exact same time.  Last year, knowing that the district Cesar Chavez contest was coming up, I did a three week unit on Chavez.  The contest materials didn't show up until a month later.  By that time, we were on to something else - which we stopped in order to go back to Chavez.  It all worked out fine, but it irritates me.  I like to plan.  I hate when my plan gets interrupted.

This year, however, the plan is to stay flexible with the plan.  That's why the plan is penciled.  It's a challenge for me, but hopefully the pay off will be big.

A word on what I'm looking for in contests:

1.  We won't enter any contest that requires a fee or the purchase of a publication.  There are plenty of free contests.

2.  Contests must award middle school students specifically.  No fair my guys competing against high school students.

3.  Contests must tie to my core curriculum.  Not hard to do, since we are to cover multiple genres with emphasis on narrative and persuasive essay.

4.  If there is an opportunity to publish, so much the better.

5.  We'll take local over national and the smaller the pool of entries, the better.  We're looking to win and I'm not kidding.

If anyone reading this knows of writing contests for middle school students that fit my criteria, please let me know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment