Wednesday, December 29, 2010

E Pluribus Unum Prize

Contest: Migration Policy Institute's National Center on Immigrant Integration Policy
Genre:  Essay
Theme:  Outstanding immigrant integration innitiatives
Prize:  $50,000
Publication:  Winning programs will be featured on:  http://www.migrationinformation.org/integrationawards/
Odds of winning:  Four programs are recognized each year.

A few months ago, my principal brought this contest to me.  It is a lengthy essay contest explaining how your program helps immigrants successfully integrate into American society.  She wanted me to enter our ESL Newcomer program.  My first thought was that it looked like A LOT of work.  My second thought, was that a $50,000 prize was nothing to sneeze at.  My third thought was a realization that this was a writing contest and that I had to do it.  No questions asked.

After gathering all the information that would be needed to complete the application form, I decided to have a meeting with my fellow ESL Team Members.  I thought perhaps we could divide up the work and they could include their expertise on how our program functions.  Then NaNoWriMo happened and the application fell to the bottom of the to-do pile.

When it resurfaced, on December 12th, I realized I had just a few days to get it completed and submitted.  No time for a meeting of the minds, I would have to knock it out on my own.  Extra special thanks to Stephanie Hunt and Peggy White for making time and space available for me to get it done - and thanks for listening to me whine.  Thanks to Emily Primrose for her lightening fast editing.  The final draft came out to be about 3800 words, but if NaNoWriMo has taught me anything, it's how to write fast.

If we win, it will be because of the optional "supporting material" that I included.  You are allowed to include one source, a newspaper article, letter of recommendation, etc., to support your application.  I uploaded an electronic copy of my student's memoir that we published last spring.  (Thanks to the tech help desk for walking me through that nightmare!)   Seriously, if we win this thing, all credit goes to Sabrin.

I plan to enter this contest again next year, when I can slow down, get feedback from my team members and put together a more cohesive proposal.  This was good experience, though, and for a potential 50k, it was worth the headache.

Wish us luck .  . .


No comments:

Post a Comment