Wednesday, December 8, 2010

We've Got a Winner!!!!

Remember when I told you that if my students entered enough writing contests, at least one of them would be sure to win?  Well, it happened a bit sooner than I thought!  One of my seventh grade students received a letter yesterday from Utah Central Credit Union stating that they were so impressed with his entry, they were inspired to create a special award for English Language Learners.  He received a certificate and a $25 prize for his essay about his greatest life lesson. 

The kids have been asking me, "What would you do if one of us actually won a writing contest?" 

I always say, "I would run screaming and yelling down the hall and brag to EVERYONE I knew!"  I did just that.  The student was so shocked, he didn't have much to say, but hopefully it sinks in when we present his certificate at the school-wide awards assembly in January.

I will be writing a thank you letter to the folks at UCCU for looking beyond grammatical and spelling mistakes to the heart of what an essay is really about.  Here's to the immigrant spirit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment