Saturday, March 12, 2011

Contest #9: Kylie Klein

Contest:  2011 Kylie Klein Writing Competition
Genre:  Essay
Theme:  "If I Could Meet Anyone, It would Be"
Prize:  $100 cash
Publication:  No publication, thus no permission slips.  That makes things a bit easier.  More information at www.kylieklein.com
Odds of winning:  One winner in each state, but only 6th-8th graders are invited to participate.

Kylie Klein is a local author, editor, and public speaker who hosts this contest each year.  She strongly encourages email submissions, so as my students have been finishing their essays, I've been typing them into my own email for submission.  A lot of typing, but not much more work than keeping track of permission slips, etc.

This essay was highly structured: four paragraphs with specific information requested.  This helped students structure their essays and gave us a lot of opportunity to talk about adding detail and specific information.  I required three examples for each paragraph and most students' essays reached the two to three page mark (typed). 

The speed at which students are writing is improving.  The quality of ideas is improving.  Spelling, grammar, punctuation are going through the roof.  Some of my students' handwriting is actually improving, too.  This is by far the best caliber of writing I have ever gotten.  Less griping over the writing portion on the UALPA this year.  Hopefully, those scores will improve - I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment