Friday, April 15, 2011

Contest #13: Kobo My Favorite Teacher Contest

Contest:  Kobo "My Favorite Teacher Contest"
Genre:  Essay
Theme:  Who is your favorite teacher and why
Prize: Kobo Wireless eReader for you and your favorite teacher
Publication:  None
Odds of winning:  Unknown, but the contest is open to all of the U.S. and Canada
For more information:  www.yourfavoriteteacher.com

This contest is for Borders' celebration of Teacher Appreciation Week.  Because it is similar to the Barnes and Noble Contest and it fell during CRT testing, I offered it up for extra credit.  I got twelve submissions!  I'm glad it was only twelve because they had to be entered through email, which meant I had to type them all - no computer access this week for students due to testing.  I can't wait to give each teacher at our school the essays that have been written about them. 

I had two rejection notices this week.  One student contest that I was quite sure we get some recognition from and one that I had entered in order to get a grant for our school.  Rejection is hard, but I share my own rejection notices with my students to let them know you don't win 'em all and you have to keep entering and trying if you ever hope to win won.

I've been thinking lately about all this competition surrounding writing.  On one hand, it is an incentive, but competition is like playing with fire.  It could just as easily discourage if not handled in just the right way.  My students don't seem dismayed at not having won more.  I hope that is how they feel about it.  As more optional contests are coming up, I'm thrilled to see students step up to the challenge.

Anyway, just a couple more contests to go as the school year winds down.  It has been quite a journey, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment